ABOUT The Department
Leading the way to better education since 1923, St. Edmund's College is the oldest institute serving quality education ever since. With an eminent and qualified faculty who is dedicated in sharpening the skills of every individual student and uplifting the weaker, Political Science department has achieved success in every stride.
St. Edmund's College established in 1923 was the first institution of higher education to be established in this part of North- East India. From the year of inception of the college in 1923, till the year 1937, Political science was taught as a part of civics at the intermediate level. In 1937 the college got affiliation to Calcutta University for Degree Courses. Even thereafter, Political science was not taught as a separate independent discipline. It formed as a constituent part of discipline of Political Economy and Political Philosophy which was comprised of two groups. Group A comprised of Economics and Group B comprised of Political Science.
In 1962, Political Science emerged as a separate discipline in St. Edmund's College. In 1965, Post Graduate study was introduced in Political Science in this College but due to paucity of funds, it was discontinued after 1972.
The faculty of the department comprises of four sanctioned post teachers who have been managing affairs of the department for over two decades. Students of the department bag three to five positions every year in the NEHU final examinations.
The students of the department of Political Science have been publishing the annual
departmental magazine, ‘Vox Populi’ since 2004.
An award has been instituted in the name of Dr B Datta Ray, the first Professor in the
Department of Political Science. Since 2008, every year, this award is given to the top
rank holder of NEHU final Honours examination from the department.
Extra Curricular Activities By The Teachers:
1. Teachers from the Department take Post Graduate classes in the Department of Social
2. Teachers from the Department involve themselves in various activities like being in
charge, judging events, etc., during the ‘College Month’ time.
3. They engage themselves in examination related work like – evaluation, scrutiny, etc.,
4. Counselling (Mentoring) is done by the faculty members of the Department for the
Honours students of B.A 1st, 2nd and 3rd year. Sometimes formally and sometimes,
5. ‘Guest lectures’ and ‘Memorial lectures’ are organized on regular interval by the
Department where eminent scholars are invited to give lecture on burning issues for the
benefit of the students.
6. Members of the Department help the students in bringing out the Departmental
Magazine every year.
7. Besides giving class tests and home assignments, group discussions are organized in the
class and students are asked to present seminar papers in the class.
8. Members of the department regularly attend seminars, lectures, etc., organized by
other institutions/universities and other departments.
9. Faculty members of the Department are engaged in some research projects as well as
publications of research articles in academic journals and books.
Distinctive Features of the Department:
> Highly experienced and devoted faculty
> Consistently good results and among toppers in the University
> Publication of Annual Department Magazine, ‘VOX POPULI’- An exclusively Students’